• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Commentators

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
His "rubbish" is a legendary comment.
Especially given that no-one can throw the "you often bowled rubbish" at him, with his Test-average of 25.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you are I certainly am!
Maybe you can take the "resident old fart" crown but you'll not beat me for the "miseryguts" one.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Dar said:
Thats exactly why i like him. The way he brutally blasts players in his monotonous, whining voice always has me cracking up in laughter.
Hah.. Do you like stabbing your eyes out with a rusty blade?

SafirXP

Cricket Spectator
imo....

worst ~ Navjot Sidhu, Aamir Sohail, Michael Holding, Tony Greig, Bob Willis, Ian Botham

best ~ Michael Slater, Ian Chappell, Richie Benaud, Harsha Bhogle, Wasim Akram, Ravi Shastri, Ian Smith (ex Kiwi keeper)

i just love listening to Michael Slater & Wasim Akram's commentary... i ACTUALLY change the channels when Sidhu, Sohail or Holding is on air. the first two talk rubbish while Holding puts me to sleep!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I like listening to commentators who are neutral and not blatantly partial and one eyed . Most One eyed :1eye: parochial crap commentators I have heard are -
On ABC - Keith (Stacky) Stackpole :ranting:
and Jimmy Maxwell. :stupid:

On Channel 9 - Bill Lawry

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
JASON said:
On Channel 9 - Bill Lawry
<BL> "He's a Victorian..... and so am I and f***ing proud of it..."

If the Billy Birmingham send-ups are anything like real life, he must be a legend.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Waughney said:
That may be true, but he is still a fine commentator (as in calling the game)
Personally, I think Jimmy Maxwell is one of the worst commentators to ever strap on a microphone. Some of the stuff he comes out with is beyond belief.

Langeveldt

Soutie
luckyeddie said:
<BL> "He's a Victorian..... and so am I and f***ing proud of it..."

If the Billy Birmingham send-ups are anything like real life, he must be a legend.
Speaking of that, does anyone know where I can grab myself "The Twelfth man"?

Sounds like a right pile of fun...

Son Of Coco

Langeveldt said:
Speaking of that, does anyone know where I can grab myself "The Twelfth man"?

Sounds like a right pile of fun...
I'm sure you can download it off the internet (if you're that way inclined! haha). Otherwise I think www.chaosmusic.com would have it, they have heaps of Aussie stuff and it's quite reasonable posting to the UK - I've ordered a few CD's through them.

I just had a look and you can get a double CD of his 2nd and third CD's for $27, and I think postage is $6 - so it's about 13 pounds delivered to your door. They're two classics too - here - chaos.com/?hspt=12&action=list&category=22

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Son Of Coco said:
Personally, I think Jimmy Maxwell is one of the worst commentators to ever strap on a microphone. Some of the stuff he comes out with is beyond belief.
In real life or just on C2004? :p

"Well Ruchee, these two openers will be looking to blaaast away in thee urlee ovas" (Sri Lanka 27-4 in a test against SA)

Son Of Coco

Langeveldt said:
OOOH ahha oooo errr... errr... perrish the thought laddie!
haha, or you can just ask any Australians you meet (there might even be a couple circulating the Uk at the moment), to give you rendition. Pretty much everyone knows at least half a CD's worth.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Son Of Coco said:
haha, or you can just ask any Australians you meet (there might even be a couple circulating the Uk at the moment), to give you rendition. Pretty much everyone knows at least half a CD's worth.
I'll invite a few over for some cold meat and a tinny of warm urine....

Scaly piscine

Worst commentator I've ever heard is Mike Atherton. Maybe it's because he's always commentating on England games when I hear him, but most of the stuff he says about players contradicts his abysmal tenure of captain of England. An example being Martin Bicknell played his last Test he was going on about how Bicknell should have had way more games for England... and guess which imbecile was captain and selector during the time he would have gotten those Test caps? He was a hopeless captain and he's just as hopeless (you can just sense all that energy and inspiration coming from him) as a commentator. Best commentators are easy, Benaud and Boycott.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Mr Wright mentioned kerry o`keefe,and im inclined to agree

merherherher mermerher mermerher

an imitation of that ilarious insane giggle of his

Slow Love™

International Captain
The worst commentator I ever heard was Jeff Thomson during the 2001 Ashes series in England - I can't remember what UK network it was for (Botham was on as well), but we got it on Ch9 over here. I really hope he covers '05 (chances probably aren't high though), because I laughed all through the series. He was spectacularly dreadful.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Langeveldt said:
In real life or just on C2004? :p

"Well Ruchee, these two openers will be looking to blaaast away in thee urlee ovas" (Sri Lanka 27-4 in a test against SA)
lol so im not the only person who has noticed this ,
otherwise its a pretty decnet game.

to bad jim spoils it with his stupid comments about something wide and short being the perfect line and lenght to bowl with a spinner....