• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Hussey: Super Cheat!

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
23.6 Ashwin to Wade, 1 run, 83.7 kph

Is history being made here? Dhoni has appealed for DJ's wicket for the batsman obstructing the field. What's with India captains and run outs! DJ could be in trouble here. Full ball on off stump, Wade drives to Raina at short cover for a quick single. The throw was heading towards Dhoni, DJ was unintentionally in the way as he ran a straight line from his crease. He puts his right hand out to stop the ball from hitting him. Mind you, the ball wasn't travelling at pace, it wouldn't have wounded DJ if it had hit him. Can you be given out for doing that? According to the new ICC rules, yes. Dhoni has asked for it.. This will be harsh on DJ, but by the rules this could be out. Bowden and Taufel are taking their time over this with the third umpire having a close look. The third umpire has decided that DJ didn't put his hand out to save his wicket, but to save himself from damage. Dhoni is explaining to the umpires that he thinks otherwise. The spirit of cricket discussions can begin afresh! The rule is a fairly strange one, and the ICC has clearly not thought it through. The over-rates continue to take a beating!

Last edited:

Spikey

Oh yeah and then Wade probably should have been out too. Cause he did the whole "oh no I'm in trouble I'm gonna start running straight down the danger area and block the stumps" thing which was why the rule was changed

27.3 Sehwag to Wade, 1 run, 83.8 kph

good work from Umesh, but he throws to the wrong end. Wade was gone for all money as he ran back half the way for the second run, but Yadav had flung it to Dhoni's end. Dhoni's relay to the bowler's end missed. Ahem, Wade deliberately came in the way this time. Does anyone know the rules? I suspect I don't!

uvelocity

International Coach
:laugh: :thumbsup:

Just read the rules, and Hussey was not out under the rules too.
was a reaction, not trying to obstruct
I think intention is key (which can sometimes be hard to tell)
I wouldn't have appealed

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
Law 37 (Obstructing the field)

Out Obstructing the field
Either batsman is out Obstructing the field if he wilfully obstructs or distracts the fielding side by word or action.
Furthermore, it shall be regarded as obstruction if while the ball is in play either batsman wilfully, and without the consent of a fielder, strikes the ball with his bat or person, other than a hand not holding the bat, after the ball has been touched by a fielder. This shall apply whether or not there is any disadvantage to the fielding side. See 4 below.

Law 33 (Handled the ball)

Out Handled the ball
(a) Either batsman is out Handled the ball if he wilfully touches the ball while in play with a hand or hands not holding the bat unless he does so with the consent of a fielder.
(b) Either batsman is out under this Law if, while the ball is in play, and without the consent of a fielder, he uses his hand or hands not holding the bat to return the ball to any fielder.

2. Not out Handled the ball
Notwithstanding 1(a) above, a batsman will not be out under this Law if he handles the ball to avoid injury.

Spikey

But there's no way that was injuring him. If that's the line for "yep that's gonna hurt a player" then jesus christ. A batsman may as well block the ball, pick it up, put it in his pocket and just run and run and say "well you could end up hurting me!"

uvelocity

International Coach
what if it hit him in the knee and he fell over and a stump went through his helmet????????????

nexxus

U19 Debutant
That would have been a straight red card penalty in football for deliberate handball. His motivation was to protect himself but his intent was to deflect the path of the ball.

Though to be honest, if it were me I'd have stuck a hand out as well. Heat of the moment and all that. I think the proper decision would've been to give him out and for everyone to offer commiserations about cricket being a tough game.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Either batsman is out Obstructing the field if he wilfully obstructs or distracts the fielding side by word or action.
Furthermore, it shall be regarded as obstruction if while the ball is in play either batsman wilfully, and without the consent of a fielder, strikes the ball with his bat or person, other than a hand not holding the bat, after the ball has been touched by a fielder. This shall apply whether or not there is any disadvantage to the fielding side. See 4 below.

Burgey

I don't know why you'd stick out a hand though. I mean, anyone who's played as much cricket as Dussey must have had the ball thrown close to him like that plenty of times.

Daemon

Well there you have it. You can now officially be given out for distracting the fielders by farting loudly.

uvelocity

International Coach
I don't understand the purpose of this post

Spikey

He's reminding everyone of the rule.

My take from that rule is that if a person removes his hand from his bat and moves it into the direction of the ball and makes contact with it, disrupting the course of the ball, it should probably be out, because through an action he has obstructed the fielding team from what they were doing (eg throwing the ball to the wicket keeper to attempt a run-out)