• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your solution to the BCCI - ICL standoff?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Conceded that they might have deep pockets and be able to keep it running even if no one watches it, and won't be short of cricketers too. The important question is whether it benefits cricket to have multiple ownership of the game in any country. If the ICL gains official recognition, nothing prevents 'x' more private leagues from cropping up in the country. Zee aren't the only media company in India who do not have telecast rights to Indian cricket. Do we extend the same generosity to Ranji cricket or the Sheffield Shield or the County championship? Does the resultant dilution of talent and lack of direction benefit the game?
All fair points, but I don't disagree with the BCCI's policies on the grounds that they're bad for cricket, i disagree with them on the grounds that they're unrealistic. It's a bit like me deciding i dislike a family member and hence ostracising them and trying to exclude everyone who has anything to do with them because i hope they'll somehow go away even though they show no signs of doing so. Much more realistic would be to find a way in which we can coexist while minimising the damage i feel they're causing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Test\ODI\domestic cricket (not just in India but everywhere) and the ICL can't coexist though. Think of the fact that there's only X number of bedrooms in the house. There's also only a certain amount of space in the cricket calendar. Eventually, you run-out. You get to a stage where competitions simply cannot be played without taking players away from one or the other.

There isn't space in the calendar for the ICL and official cricket to coexist.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Test\ODI\domestic cricket (not just in India but everywhere) and the ICL can't coexist though. Think of the fact that there's only X number of bedrooms in the house. There's also only a certain amount of space in the cricket calendar. Eventually, you run-out. You get to a stage where competitions simply cannot be played without taking players away from one or the other.

There isn't space in the calendar for the ICL and official cricket to coexist.
You mean the market will reach saturation point? I don't think it will tbh. With sport it very, very rarely does.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, I mean there's only 365 days in a year. And, obviously, cricketers have to have a good few of them off else they won't last long.

haroon510

International 12th Man
the solution is the altimate duel matches..

five test matches
five one day matches
five twenty 20 matches.

the winner of the two series would keep their league..if ICL wins.. they would not only be recoganized by ICC but also all the cricket boards. that means no more bans on Cricketers who play ICL...if BCCI wins.. no more ICL..

in the interest of fairness.. there should be an auction in which both Leagues get a chance to pick new players to represent them in the matches..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BCCI gives Zee Test, ODI and IPL rights. That's the only way the ICL is going to go away. That's what Subhash Chandra was aiming for when setting-up the ICL (he didn't care about trying to improve the lives of Indian cricketers, don't let anyone allow you to believe that), same thing Kerry Packer was aiming for with WSC. Soon as Packer got the Test rights he wanted, WSC was no more.

Either that or the BCCI are completely successful in using whatever means to completely disincentivise regular teams from signing ICL players, and so no players sign for the ICL, so the ICL is discontinued voluntarily by Zee, who admit defeat. This wasn't a million miles from happening in the WSC case - the ACB almost defeated Packer, but he was saved by Neville Wran.

Chandra and Zee have deep pockets, though, much deeper than Packer and C9 did in the '70s, and an ICL contract even at the current time is far better than a county contract (and I presume an Indian zonal one), and the ICL's initial season was far, far more succesful than WSC's was. So someone who's established their credentials at county level could easily opt for the ICL over their county. But that'd require an upping of sticks of sorts.

There is no room for the ICL. It has to either stop or be completely and totally ostracised from real cricket, and become an entirely separate entity. The former would be most ideal but as I say, the only way it's likely to happen would be if Zee are given the rights that they wanted. Trouble with that would be that it'd set a dangerous precedent that C9's being given the rights didn't. The number of channels around in 2007 is infinitely larger than in 1977, and if anyone fancied Indian cricket rights, all they'd need to do would be to set-up an ICL.
Well summarized big Rich. This whole foolish standoff shows how incompetent the ICC has been set-up with the BCCI having to much power in the world game.

This could never happen with FIFA.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
No. Based on what i've read & researched recently, plus watch big Rich told me the other day. It is clear that if the ICC was structured as a proper sporting governing body, the ICL problem would never have occured.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Who would structure it properly? Twenty years ago, Aus-Eng would have had a problem. Since then, England and India would have a problem. It is improbable such a body could legitimately ever exist with the interest and money imbalance in cricket. Even if you somehow imposed it on people, what is to stop BCCI from saying 'See ya, we don't want to be part of this' and walking out with 70% of your income.

cricman

International 12th Man
the solution is the altimate duel matches..

five test matches
five one day matches
five twenty 20 matches.

the winner of the two series would keep their league..if ICL wins.. they would not only be recoganized by ICC but also all the cricket boards. that means no more bans on Cricketers who play ICL...if BCCI wins.. no more ICL..

in the interest of fairness.. there should be an auction in which both Leagues get a chance to pick new players to represent them in the matches..
ICL Test XI

Shane Bond
Mohammed Asif
Mohammed Rafique
Saqlain Mushtaq
Micheal Bevan
Inzaman ul huq
Mohammed Yousef
Brian Lara
Habibul Bashar

I know I'm missing some Kiwi's who are definitely Test Class

IPL XI

Current World XI - (Warne + Gilly)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who would structure it properly? Twenty years ago, Aus-Eng would have had a problem. Since then, England and India would have a problem. It is improbable such a body could legitimately ever exist with the interest and money imbalance in cricket. Even if you somehow imposed it on people, what is to stop BCCI from saying 'See ya, we don't want to be part of this' and walking out with 70% of your income.
Yeah, cricket sadly has simply never been structured in a way that allows for a govorning body where the power resides with executives independent of all domestic boards.

If it could be it'd be good, but it couldn't ever have happened. Maybe someday it might, but it's extremely unlikely any time soon.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ICL Test XI

Shane Bond
Mohammed Asif
Mohammed Rafique
Saqlain Mushtaq
Micheal Bevan
Inzaman ul huq
Mohammed Yousef
Brian Lara
Habibul Bashar

I know I'm missing some Kiwi's who are definitely Test Class

IPL XI

Current World XI - (Warne + Gilly)
Not sure why we've got Test cricket - it'd be Twenty20 International cricket given the ICL is a Twenty20 league.

Also, if we were in the longer format, Gilchrist would most certainly not be in the team, and given Warne hasn't played four\five-day cricket for years it's unlikely he would be either.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Who would structure it properly? Twenty years ago, Aus-Eng would have had a problem. Since then, England and India would have a problem. It is improbable such a body could legitimately ever exist with the interest and money imbalance in cricket.
Yes it is very unfortunate & shocking that the ICC wasn't always a governing body with complete control over all the various national boards instead of the current crappy set-up.

But 20 years ago??, 88/89. What big money imbalance was going on then, that would have made England or Australia behave like how the BCCI have over the past year?.

Even if you somehow imposed it on people, what is to stop BCCI from saying 'See ya, we don't want to be part of this' and walking out with 70% of your income.
Well given the BCCI has all this power unfortunately. They didn't seem too concerned with the global effect of starting up the IPL too early & orchestrating this fiasco with the ICL (which should not have been allowed to be in place anyway), so that them, Modi & them Indian Billionaries could make millions for themselves.

Under a proper body, the IPL could have easily been the BPL of world cricket. With for a 2 month period, all the best players in the world going over to their year earning nice bucks under organised circumstances. Now everything is haywire with the IPL basically benefiting India..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well given the BCCI has all this power unfortunately. They didn't seem too concerned with the global effect of starting up the IPL too early & orchestrating this fiasco with the ICL (which should not have been allowed to be in place anyway), so that them, Modi & them Indian Billionaries could make millions for themselves.
You realize there are no laws to stop someone from starting a sporting league if he wants, regardless of how strong a governing body is, or what country it is. Unless you're in China or something. It's a free market, people can generally start the type of business they want.

Under a proper body, the IPL could have easily been the BPL of world cricket. With for a 2 month period, all the best players in the world going over to their year earning nice bucks under organised circumstances. Now everything is haywire with the IPL basically benefiting India..
So you're saying, that under this so called mythical body, they would force a country with 10x the money and popularity as others to give up their lucrative deals in favor of an international body? There'd be a coup and you'd have a split within a week. What you are suggesting can't work.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
You realize there are no laws to stop someone from starting a sporting league if he wants, regardless of how strong a governing body is, or what country it is. Unless you're in China or something. It's a free market, people can generally start the type of business they want.
Yes they probably can, i dunno personally. But once the governing body in strong & has proper sanctions over its constituents, i.e FIFA with the various leagues, zones & players.

They control them, so alien enterprise or buinessman for example those Arabian oilmen. Can't just say they buidling a football league in Dubai 2moro & tell all the world's best players they going to offer them millions per week & they all go rushing.

But in this shocking ICC set-up, where the BCC has all this power. They have used the rise of 20/20 cricket to bully others & cause a bit of strife n confusion in the game right now.

So you're saying, that under this so called mythical body, they would force a country with 10x the money and popularity as others to give up their lucrative deals in favor of an international body? There'd be a coup and you'd have a split within a week. What you are suggesting can't work.

No i'm not saying that, nor do i expect this to happen in the near future unfortunately.

What i'm saying is if the ICC as a governing body had ABSOLUTE POWER as i should have, the IPL would have been the perfect & ONLY 20/20 world league. All those other one's like:

- The ICL which would have never existed thus NZ & PAK would still have two of their best players.

- That Champions league wildness

- The crazy notion of Standford (although he did some good stuff for the Windies) coming to England and proposing awful idea, of the counties with such great tradition & history joining up as regional teams just for a 20/20 league.

- Sri Lanka tour of England this year being cancelled. This being the most serious one so far, series being cancelled because of IPL is totally unacceptable.

Last edited:

susudear

Banned
Contradict yourself

What i'm saying is if the ICC as a governing body had ABSOLUTE POWER as i should have, the IPL would have been the perfect & ONLY 20/20 world league. All those other one's like:

- The ICL which would have never existed thus NZ & PAK would still have two of their best players.

- That Champions league wildness

- The crazy notion of Standford (although he did some good stuff for the Windies) coming to England and proposing awful idea, of the counties with such great tradition & history joining up as regional teams just for a 20/20 league.

- Sri Lanka tour of England this year being cancelled. This being the most serious one so far, series being cancelled because of IPL is totally unacceptable.
How do you think IPL would exist in the first place had ICC had all power?

Wouldn't they have disallowed it on the premise of it hampering the International tour schedule?

And your last point contradicts your main point. Sri Lanka tour of England was decided outside the scope of FTP programme. And most of SLC had no idea about it, since it was Ranatunga's personal thing.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Basically aussie's point is that this big bully India has no right to make money off its own market.

I'm beginning to see sense in the insularity of the Americans when it comes to team sports. Why put up with the whinging of the outside world when you can just have your own national leagues and keep your money within the country?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who's the other one apart from Mohammad Yousuf and Bond?
That series should never, ever have been scheduled ITFP. It was utter carelessness on the part of everyone involved that it was.