• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

susudear

Banned
Steyn's ability

I hope this series would curtail any doubts regarding Steyn's ability to pick wickets at an amazing strike rate.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Match started two weeks too late to miss the unusual wet weather. Even if it does rain for a bit, there'll easily be enough time to get the runs and as Uppercut said it would be a travesty is SA don't win for something so trivial.
Especially since I had $100 on them at 13.20... :p

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
My mate's Dad occasionally takes my tips seriously. He put on a tidy $4000 when the Saffies were paying $16 even. Pretty awesome.

IMO, and I don't think I'm one to normally say this, but changes need to be made. For mine, the sooner Hayden, Clarke, Symonds and possibly Lee (especially if he's injured) are back in domestic cricket, the better. Time to start rewarding Dave Hussey, North, Bollinger, Bracken, Watson, etc, who clearly have a passion for playing.

Clarke's dismissal made me feel sick today. Was absolutely pathetic.

inbox24

International Debutant
Hey guys, what were the dismissals like today? How was Ponting's innings?

BTW I think we need Trevor Hohns back, the guy has some sense.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
How on earth could anyone suggest dropping Clarke? He's been our best batsman this summer. Better than Katich and Haddin who have also been consistently pretty good. He played a bad shot, but that hardly warrants being dropped when he played a wonderful, mature innings two days ago without which Australia would probably already have lost. He also passed 20 and was involved in a partnership, which is more than you can say for Katich, Hussey, Symonds or Haddin. There's no way you can say that Australia would have done better in this test if he wasn't in the side.

Hayden being dropped would be totally reasonable. Wouldn't be surprised if he got one more game, but if he got dropped for Rogers or even for Hughes that would be fine. Same with Symonds, especially if he can't bowl again. Lee's injured anyway but should go to South Africa, and the other bowlers should all stay in the side.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
How on earth could anyone suggest dropping Clarke? He's been our best batsman this summer. Better than Katich and Haddin who have also been consistently pretty good. He played a bad shot, but that hardly warrants being dropped when he played a wonderful, mature innings two days ago without which Australia would probably already have lost. He also passed 20 and was involved in a partnership, which is more than you can say for Katich, Hussey, Symonds or Haddin. There's no way you can say that Australia would have done better in this test if he wasn't in the side.

Hayden being dropped would be totally reasonable. Wouldn't be surprised if he got one more game, but if he got dropped for Rogers or even for Hughes that would be fine. Same with Symonds, especially if he can't bowl again. Lee's injured anyway but should go to South Africa, and the other bowlers should all stay in the side.
I know his stats have been good, but he has had so much luck it's ridiculous. I do not like the way he's been going about his cricket and wouldn't want him in my side at present. Did you see his 20-odd today? Could of been out four times. Imo, it's just a matter of time before he really costs Australia, if he hasn't already done. Just like when he was dropped after the Windies series, I believe some Domestic Cricket is just what he needs.

Also, he's a tool. (face)

Stapel

International Regular
Was Dar's decision excusable?

I mean: did it look out from where he was standing?

Last year, Kallis was given out caught behind (WI in SA) to a bouncer, but replays clearly showed the ball had missed his glove. However, he did move his bat&hands through the flight line of the ball. From the umpire's spot, it simply looked out, especially because the ball deviated from the shoulder, exactly on the highth where his glove was.

I'm not advocating poor decisions, but when a batsman moves his bat or glove within inches of the ball, he does create the risk of a poor umpire's decision. A risk that could (and should?) be avoided by keeping the bat low when facing a bouncer.

So yes, Hussey was very unfortunate. Most defenitely! But is it fair to say he shouldn't have brought his bat near the ball in the first place?

I didn't see any TV action, so I migth be far off..... Looking forward to your reactions.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was Dar's decision excusable?

I mean: did it look out from where he was standing?

Last year, Kallis was given out caught behind (WI in SA) to a bouncer, but replays clearly showed the ball had missed his glove. However, he did move his bat&hands through the flight line of the ball. From the umpire's spot, it simply looked out, especially because the ball deviated from the shoulder, exactly on the highth where his glove was.

I'm not advocating poor decisions, but when a batsman moves his bat or glove within inches of the ball, he does create the risk of a poor umpire's decision. A risk that could (and should?) be avoided by keeping the bat low when facing a bouncer.

So yes, Hussey was very unfortunate. Most defenitely! But is it fair to say he shouldn't have brought his bat near the ball in the first place?

I didn't see any TV action, so I migth be far off..... Looking forward to your reactions.
From front on the glove and helmet were pretty much exactly in line with each other so it isn't out of the question that Dar thought it flicked a bit of the glove on the way through to the helmet. Not a clanger by any stretch but still an incorrect decision.

pup11

International Coach
I think Hayden needs to make clear what are his future plans, if he decides to retire after this series then i think he should be allowed to play in the last test at the SCG, but if he is planning to play in the Ashes 09 series, then i think he should be dropped for the SCG test and he should be asked to find some form in the domestic circuit, if he can make some runs for the Bulls then they should pick him for the South African tour, otherwise they should look elsewhere.

There is no doubt Hayden is still an impact player and Australia would only be stronger if they have an in-form Matty Hayden opening the batting, but they certainly can't allow him test after test to find his form in the international circuit.

P.S: The idea of dropping Clarke is a bit ridiculous, agreed he hasn't been a very entertaining batsman to watch this summer, but he has been very consistent with the amount of runs he has scored and he has played some terrible shots, but he is certainly not the only Aussie batsman to do that, if one thinks of dropping him on that basis, then lot of other batsmen need to be dropped too.

Craig

World Traveller
Ran to the MCG after work when Ponting was on 87. Can't imagine how shattered I was when he got out on 99. Was great seeing Johnson bat so well in the flesh, pity Siddle and Hauritz couldn't stick around.

I haven't read much of this thread, but I'd imagine there's a lot of laughing, doomsday calls etc etc. There will definitley be heaps in the media all around the world. However I think it's a pity that people focus on the rubbish and not on the fact that this has been a brilliant series, by far the best since 05 and there are too many shortsighted morons missing that point.
I reckon it doesn't have to be said every five minutes. It was front page of the paper today next to Israeli air strikes in Gaza. We get the point, everyone knows, they've been harping on about it since McGrath and Warne turned 30, now let us enjoy a brilliant contest.
AWTA so very much.

Like you, when I read the sports section of the paper, I avoid the cricket bit, because they are all crap. How on earth somebody like Ben Dorries still has a job I have no idea, he is rubbish. We probably have better writers on this site then him.

pup11

International Coach
I know his stats have been good, but he has had so much luck it's ridiculous. I do not like the way he's been going about his cricket and wouldn't want him in my side at present. Did you see his 20-odd today? Could of been out four times. Imo, it's just a matter of time before he really costs Australia, if he hasn't already done. Just like when he was dropped after the Windies series, I believe some Domestic Cricket is just what he needs.

Also, he's a tool. (face)
I think that line says it all, its clear that you hate him so just say that, Clarke hating is nothing new on the forum, but really as far as cricketing reasoning is concerned Clarke would be the last batsman Australia would/should drop.

pup11

International Coach
What's with all the Clarke hate flying around?
Apparently that's because he has claimed a few grassed catches in his time and he's good friend with Symonds, and he looks like a tool and has Lara Bingle as his fiancé, i think these are the few reasons why the CW has this much Clarke hate in the air.