• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SA President Norman Ardense quits over rift

kingkallis

International Coach
Source : SuperCricket.co.za

Cricket South Africa (CSA) president Norman Arendse SC dropped a bombshell at a media conference at Newlands Cricket Stadium on Wednesday, when he announced he was resigning as CSA president and International Cricket Council positions with immediate effect.

Arendse read out a prepared statement: "It is important that the person who presides over cricket in our country enjoys the full trust and confidence of his chief executive officer (CEO), and all 11 affiliates who are the custodians of the game. Currently, I enjoy neither -- and it does not assist me that I may enjoy constitutional protection against my removal at this stage until my three year-term ends in August 2010.

"The truth of the matter is that although I was returned unopposed as president of Cricket South Africa (CSA) in August 2007 for a three-year term, I never at any stage enjoyed the full trust and confidence of the CEO, and all 11 affiliates. The CEO is of the view that the president is merely a ceremonial head there to preside over meetings, and to attend matches, and functions.

"By contrast, I hold the view that the CEO is employed by the Board, and is accountable to it. The president, in between meetings, stands in the shoes of the employer (the Board), and the CEO is accountable to him.

"As a consequence of these sharply contrasting positions, the relationship between the CEO and I, has broken down irretrievably. Should we continue in this way, there is a real danger that cricket may be plunged into a crisis, and the game be brought into disrepute.

"The office of the president of CSA must be respected, and be supported by all, including the CEO and all 11 affiliates -- at all times. This is currently not the case: historically, the 6:5 split in South African cricket has bedevilled the administration of the game in South Africa, and has reared its ugly head again. Currently six of the 11 affiliates appear not to support me as president.

"The manipulation of this situation in South African cricket is most unhealthy, and detrimental to the game.

"Since unity in 1992, those affiliates who continue steadfastly to support me, ie Western Province, Boland, Eastern Province, Border, and KwaZulu-Natal have traditionally been the affiliates that are supportive of transformation in cricket as they come from the non-racial fold under SACOS (and its successor the National Sports Congress). The other affiliates have battled to come to terms with transformation, and in some instances, transformation is completely lacking, and remains a foreign concept.

"The CEO, and others, have done well to exploit these differences, and as a result, six of these affiliates have apparently indicated that they no longer have confidence in me. Although I have to accept this view, I find it ironic: even my worst detractors cannot, and do not, accuse me of incompetence, dishonesty, corruption, or some other fraudulent conduct.

"The charges against me appear to be my transformation agenda, and my demand of the CEO that he be accountable to me in my representative capacity as the president of the Board.

"I plead guilty to both charges, and have nothing to say in mitigation of sentence! As someone who comes out of the non-racial fold under SACOS (and subsequently the National Sports Congress), I proudly associate myself with an (open) transformation agenda which seeks to strive for a non-racial society based on the values in our Constitution of equality, dignity, freedom, and fair and equal opportunities and access to the game for all members of our diverse communities.

"The issue of accountability is critical to the success of any code of sport so as to avoid a situation where any code becomes the private property of any one person who manipulates historical divisions in our society, and in our sport, in order to advance his or her own agenda, and personal interests.

"On the charges that I want to take over the CEO's job, and run cricket, and that I acted unilaterally at ICC level, I reject these charges with the contempt they deserve. I have a more than full-time legal practice, and have no wish or desire, let alone the time, to run cricket. I have always been a part-time, unpaid, honorary official who served the game in the public interest. As regards the ICC, I was the first president to account to the Board on ICC matters.

"I at all times requested the Board's input on important matters. I consulted the CEO extensively on issues such as Zimbabwe and Pakistan. "Regrettably, I have decided to give way although I live for cricket, I do not make a living from cricket (and never have), and it would not make sense for me to continue to want to put the administration of the game under pressure due to my fundamental (and irresoluble) differences with the CEO.

"In these circumstances, it has become untenable for me to continue presiding over CSA as its president. Accordingly, I have decided to resign with immediate effect.

"It has been an honour to serve as president of Cricket South Africa, and to follow in the illustrious footsteps of some of my predecessors -- at a relatively young age -- and to represent our country at the highest level.

"I have always been involved in the game so that I may contribute to ensuring that those who are disadvantaged, underprivileged, and poor, are given full and equal access and opportunities to participate in this great game -- on and off the field.

"It is my sincere wish and desire that my successor pursues this vision with passion, commitment, honesty and integrity. Although we must strive for unity in cricket, we can only achieve real unity once we rid the game of self-serving administrators, those who seek to preserve the status quo (based on inequality and privilege), and those who continually manipulate the historical divisions in sport.

"Sadly, many administrators are elected or appointed on the basis of the particular agenda that they serve, and not on the basis of their ability or capacity to make a meaningful contribution to the game. As a consequence, many of our best, and most able, administrators languish on the sidelines, marginalised because their only interest is the best interests of the game.

"Although the professional side of cricket appears to be in good shape with all the Champions League monies flowing into the coffers of CSA, there remain huge challenges at grassroots level that require priority attention.

"Our schools, rural, and club cricket is in a mess; and funding for grassroots amateur cricket needs to be increased exponentially. This requires the budget of CSA to be totally transformed to address the real and tangible needs of the previously disadvantaged, the less privileged, needy and poor cricketers.

"My patriotism for my country, and my passion for the game, remain undiminished, and I will provide whatever support I am required to give when I am called upon to do so.

"I will immediately also tender my resignation to the International Cricket Council (ICC) president, Dave Morgan, in my capacity as executive board member of the ICC, as director of IDI (the ICC's commercial arm), as chairperson of the ICC's HR and Remuneration Committee, and as a member of its Governance Committee. It has been an honour and a privilege to serve my country at the highest level.

"It remains for me to thank all those who have continued to support the transformation agenda, and me personally (especially ordinary South Africans in the streets) and those who have encouraged me through some difficult periods during my term of office."

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I still can't believe they gave you a cricketmail advert for getting to 25,000 posts... dire. :laugh:

kingkallis

International Coach
Ardense was pro-transformation, its Majola who is not that keen with transformation.

Lets hope they involve some of the recently retired players in management team!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah, was my first thought TBH.

Who's the CEO again? Gerald Majola isn't it? He's gone up in my estimation.
Yeah he's alright.. It's just the dead wood we need to get rid of.. Arendse fell out of my estimations during the recent selectorial wranglings earlier this year.. It's a good day for SA cricket

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Probably someone black, pro-transformation, etc.. *yawn*
Considering most CEO's of the franchises are 'black' the chances of a white man being appointed are rather slim. Also, the hotly tipped favorite for the position is one Dr. Mtutuzeli Nyoka of Gauteng whose idea of transformation is raiding the Cape(s) for 'black' cricketers

Langeveldt

Soutie
Considering most CEO's of the franchises are 'black' the chances of a white man being appointed are rather slim. Also, the hotly tipped favorite for the position is one Dr. Mtutuzeli Nyoka of Gauteng whose idea of transformation is raiding the Cape(s) for 'black' cricketers
Black South Africans are still massively under-represented, I'd rather that issue was pushed than the huge slew of fairly mediocre Cape Coloured's that proliferate the domestic game.. (Ontong's, Peterson's)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Best option possible. Having played in the highest league in Gauteng (where transformation was the highest priority in that non-white teams could not be relegated, were given massive financial resources and players were taken into academies and with the Province) the standard of black cricket is very poor.

Given the quotas and need to have a good team, Id go outside the Province for decent non-white talent every time. You cant have half your team being terrible.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Best option possible. Having played in the highest league in Gauteng (where transformation was the highest priority in that non-white teams could not be relegated, were given massive financial resources and players were taken into academies and with the Province) the standard of black cricket is very poor.

Given the quotas and need to have a good team, Id go outside the Province for decent non-white talent every time. You cant have half your team being terrible.
Unbelievable.. Would never have played cricket in EP if that was the case..

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

No I agree with going outside the province and Gauteng's reluctance to pump money into the townships nowadays illustrates that they no longer see the townships as economically viable ventures which will produce black cricketers but Gauteng and particularly the Lions franchise are a terrible side with imported Cape, Eastern or West Coloureds. So it's not benefiting anyone it would seem.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Black South Africans are still massively under-represented, I'd rather that issue was pushed than the huge slew of fairly mediocre Cape Coloured's that proliferate the domestic game.. (Ontong's, Peterson's)
That issue would cost serious money and will take generations to correct. Chasing pipe dreams in Alexandra is a waste of time as shown by the lack of end results and failures of Dr. Ali Bacher and the UCB schemes in the late 80's and 90's. Black Africans enjoy and have a history of playing cricket in the Eastern Cape so that’s where the money should be and the Warriors franchise is slowly but surely producing African cricketers and maybe this year they can field a bowling attack where three seamers are all African and locally produced (Mjekula, Ntini, Tsotsobe).

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
That issue would cost serious money and will take generations to correct. Chasing pipe dreams in Alexandra is a waste of time as shown by the lack of end results and failures of Dr. Ali Bacher and the UCB schemes in the late 80's and 90's. Black Africans enjoy and have a history of playing cricket in the Eastern Cape so that’s where the money should be and the Warriors franchise is slowly but surely producing African cricketers and maybe this year they can field a bowling attack where three seamers are all African and locally produced (Mjekula, Ntini, Tsotsobe).
Yeah, Id agree with that. There is Black talent out there, just not everywhere. Places like the Eastern Cape deserve big investment.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Ngam was a bright prospect too. Also from the Eastern Cape.