• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

W.G. versus The Don

Who was greater?

• Total voters

neville cardus

International Debutant
as a batsman and as a cricketer, the don is light years ahead, w.g has his place as one of the greatest pioneers of the modern game but he is nowhere near bradman in terms of cricketing ability...
How so? Have you even bothered to examine the relevant statistics (vis-a-vis, those not distorted by Grace's playing on too long)? His coming was far more a revelation to the game than Bradman's, and that is proven by the wealth of records that he not only broke but absolutely smashed, and how comparatively far ahead of his contemporaries he was.

Last edited:

neville cardus

International Debutant
No need to bust the rolleyes out on me archie, stop being so precious.

As I said in my initial post, I am NOT sure whether the stories are true or false, but there most be some basis to them. I wouldn't discredit Grace's run scoring because of some 'sharp practice' as you call it, but I wouldn't vote for him because it tarnishes his reputation hugely.
So, although it might not have happened -- indeed, it is highly likely that it did not happen --, it nevertheless counts against him?

Why is it, I wonder, that this ostensible cheating did not hugely tarnish his reputation during his own epoch? Why is it that, based only on these unsubstantiated yarns, we discount him as a cheating rogue who would never get by today?

Last edited:

neville cardus

International Debutant
It depends what you choose to believe. The story where he stayed in and said something like "The crowd have come to watch me bat and not you bowl" has been exaggerated out of all proportion, there are so many versions of it. The one I think most likely is that it was a charity match and the huge crowd were still coming in so the fielding side withdrew their appeal so as not to upset the crowd at not seeing the main draw card.
Like I said very minor matches, and time and tall stories should be taken with a grain of salt imho
There is one for instance where Grace is suppose (after being bowled first ball) to have replaced the bails and said "I always get a practice ball"
In his own bio he attributes the story to another pro on the tour of Aust. But this has since became a WG story
I believe that W.G. frequently had his contemporaries' foibles projected onto him. The tired anecdote which Lillian Thomson relates was almost certainly an appropriation of Harry Jupp's mischief at a local ground in the 1870s, and for this story, at least, we have confirmation:

"Jupp loved batting," wrote Lord Harris, "and was quite difficult to get to leave the wicket if there was a chance of the umpire deciding in his favour." Having been bowled, "[h]e stooped, picked up and replaced the bails, and took his guard. 'Aren't you going out, Juppy?' asked the opponents' captain. 'No,' said Jupp, 'not at Dorking'; and he didn't."

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Surely these apocryphal stories are 99% relating to minor cricket?
Every single one I've heard along said lines (and yes, there are a few) is in games where the status was of no consequence.

C_C was another to attempt to hold said games against Grace. Thank the Lord he and Nev never crossed paths!!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

neville cardus

International Debutant
Every single one I've heard along said lines (and yes, there are a few) is in games where the status was of no consequence.
C_C was another to attempt to hold said games against Grace. Thank the Lord he and Nev never crossed paths!!!!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Yes indeed. I shan't stand for such know-nothing cretins.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yes indeed. I won't stand for such know-nothing cretins.
I cant think of another phrase that describes him better. But you know what, he spoke with so much authority (read aggression) even when he was patently wrong (including on facts) that those with passing knowledge of the game were mighty impressed. :)

neville cardus

International Debutant
I cant think of another phrase that describes him better. But you know what, he spoke with so much authority (read aggression) even when he was patently wrong (including on facts) that those with passing knowledge of the game were mighty impressed. :)
I know the sort. Perhaps, though, the perceived aggression of yours truly (founded on what he believes is an authoritative factual base) will do the same. At any rate, W.G. deserves it.

neville cardus

International Debutant
You're a good poster nev, but sometimes you cross the line. How dare you act condescending to King FRAZ?!
Seriously though, not everyone's first language is English.
I fully understand that, but 'twas more piss-taking self-indulgence than condescending linguistic arrogance. I'm reasonably certain, though, from what I have seen of him, that FRAZ will take it the latter way. If not, however, I'll be more than happy to extend a hearty apology (at least once he tells me what on Earth he was getting at).

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I know the sort. Perhaps, though, the perceived aggression of yours truly (founded on what he believes is an authoritative factual base) will do the same. At any rate, W.G. deserves it.
Well in a way yes but that makes for a very welcome change in a 'market place' where most people have very poor knowledge of the history of the game beyond their father's generation and think anything that existed before Tv must have been of poor quality anyway. Where batsmen are disparaged by saying they batted against poor attacks and bowlers are run down by saying that they bowled on horrendous wickets for batting - both at the same time !! Where anyone who bowled before the advent of the speed gun just wasn't fast enough. As if the speed gun somehow injected speed in cricket.

This character firmly believed that Bradman was not such a great player, that most umpires of his time were reluctant to give decisions against him, that he batted on dead flat wickets against bowlers who were good for nothing, in a time when cricketers were so unprofessional as to not be competitive in today's 'professional' environment and so on. He just went on and on with such diatribe. Of course his discourses covered a wide variety of other subjects as well besides cricket where his views were even more dramatic and a bit troubling in some respects.

But he spoke with the vehemence and aggressive conviction that appealed to quite a few. :)

shortpitched713

International Captain
"Truth" is nothing more than the public perception.

And that is why I can be certain that the Don will "truly" be surpassed in my lifetime.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I was quite enjoying this thread and the robust debate that it provided, so I can't quite work out why it's gone stale, but would anyone care to take up the cudgels again?

Last edited: