• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the next generation of spin bowlers?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Qadir was good, but I wouldn't necessarily say he was better than some of the non Murali/Warne types going around. His bowling average overseas is 47. Obviously, LBW's killed him and he should have a better average, but still. He was not near Warne/Murali.

From India, I like Murali Karthik, Ramesh Powar, etc. Ramesh Powar, especially, is such an awesome bowler to watch. He is totally old school - relying on flight and loop.
:laugh: If Kartik's your best bet as a spinner and you've not got some seamers, watch-out!

TBF on Kartik, I've never really been able to make-up my mind on him. He's taken advantage to great extent of turning pitches before now, notably against Australia, but he's also been absolutely murdered (where others have merely been less effective) by Australia and several others on both non-turning and sometimes turning pitches. Worryingly, I recall hearing him say a few years ago that he disliked bowling on turners, because things had gone badly for him in Tests on turners several times. You're never going to get far as a spinner thinking like that.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Waaaaaaaaaaay off subject, but that is the nasally-gifted adonis that is Paul Mariner in your avavtar, isn't it?
Yeah. I put him on there before the Croatia game as a tribute to the fact that he scored the goal that took us through in identical circumstances back in 1981. Wish I hadn't bothered, and I haven't thought of anything topical to replace him lately.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
:laugh: If Kartik's your best bet as a spinner and you've not got some seamers, watch-out!

TBF on Kartik, I've never really been able to make-up my mind on him. He's taken advantage to great extent of turning pitches before now, notably against Australia, but he's also been absolutely murdered (where others have merely been less effective) by Australia and several others on both non-turning and sometimes turning pitches. Worryingly, I recall hearing him say a few years ago that he disliked bowling on turners, because things had gone badly for him in Tests on turners several times. You're never going to get far as a spinner thinking like that.
Regardless of what he has said, he has good control and can take wickets. Is he Bishan Bedi? No. But I think he can do well if given an extended run in the side. I'd certainly take him over Harbhajan.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Spinners bowling out WI teams is no measure of greatness. Bowlers of varying standards from Border to Hirwani to Tufnell have done it.
Border and Hirwani's matches were both on pitches that would have seen them bowl-out most teams, though, I think that's generally noted?

Though the Border case is indeed an odd one, being a part-timer, albeit a pretty decent part-timer. It's also a rather dubious case: the Test in question was a dead one, and the side in question contained just 2 batsman (Haynes, who scored 75 and 143 in said game, and Richardson) of any real super note. There was also Greenidge (aged 38 and no longer the force he once had been, just a middling player), Richards (aged 36 and likewise), Hooper (a woeful Test batsman at that stage), Logie (never one who found Test consistency), and Dujon (already a good 3 years past his prime), plus Roger Harper, Malcolm Marshall and Curtley Ambrose, useful tailenders little more than.

And the Tufnell case as David already mentioned is even more dubious: of his 6 first-innings wickets, 4 were tailenders, 1 an unfit Richards and the other that noted Test batsman Clayton Lambert (an opener batting at five). EDIT: curse the bugger, he's edited that in while I was writing this post.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Regardless of what he has said, he has good control and can take wickets. Is he Bishan Bedi? No. But I think he can do well if given an extended run in the side. I'd certainly take him over Harbhajan.
Really? Why? He doesn't spin it any more than Harbhajan, his control and flight is little or no better. And he has no Doosra, unlike Harbhajan.

Give me a turning pitch and I'll take the right-armer over the left-armer anyday. I still wait with interest to see what Powar can do on a turner in a Test, too.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Fair point about Border. But Tufnell's performance at the Oval in 1991 mainly involved tail enders IIRC - it was certainly nothing like the 6 for 16 that AQ picked up at faislabad in 1986.
Ah come on :)

WI lost 7 wickets for 12 runs, of which Tufnell took 6. Incredible collapse and Yes, Tufnell did clean up the tail but it also included batsmen such as Richards and Lambert

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A bit harsh about 1986/7 - apart from Greenidge, Haynes, Richardson, Gomes & Richards is one for the "what did the Romans do for us" pile. :laugh: OK, so they were closer to the end of their careers than the beginning, but they weren't on their last legs.
It's not a useless performance, certainly not, but it's not the "bowling-out the great West Indies" that it's sometimes cracked-up to be.

It's not as if he strolled in in 1979 or 1981 and single-handedly knocked-over Greenidge, Haynes, Rowe\Gomes, Kallicherran, Richards, Lloyd and Dujon. That really would have been quite some performance.

pup11

International Coach
Atm there aren't any young spinners around in world cricket who one could call even a decent prospect which is really sad, but you never know somebody seriously talented might burst onto the scene from nowhere!
So lets keep our fingers crossed so that the great art of spin doesn't fade away.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Atm there aren't any young spinners around in world cricket who one could call even a decent prospect which is really sad, but you never know somebody seriously talented might burst onto the scene from nowhere!
So lets keep our fingers crossed so that the great art of spin doesn't fade away.
I wouldn't say that. There are lots of prospects who look quite good, like Chawla or Adil Rashid in England.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
From India, I like Murali Karthik, Ramesh Powar, etc. Ramesh Powar, especially, is such an awesome bowler to watch. He is totally old school - relying on flight and loop.
Absolutely agree. Ironically, given he's such an unprepossessing physical specimen, he does have a quite beautiful, orthodox action. I could watch him bowl all day. I'm a bit of a sucker for finger-spinners with nice actions, Monty's is very easy on the eye too.

I will be interested to hear what Master Orthdox has to say on the subject at hand, what with him being CW's representative in the spinners' union & all.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Chawla and Powar are the obvious ones from the Test scene and I think Harbhajan Singh may yet become truly great but outside that arena there arae two who stand out namely Kenya's Hiren Varaiya who I think is still on course to be the fastest Associate bowler to 50 wickets and Bermuda's u19 captain Jonathan Trott though I think he may be more of a batsman who bowls well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wouldn't say that. There are lots of prospects who look quite good, like Chawla or Adil Rashid in England.
I wouldn't call Rashid a prospect who looks good, just someone who looks better than your typical English wristspin prospect.

I'm not getting too excited yet myself, as after his debut he's yet to do anything especially remarkable. And don't tell me that people who know about cricket wouldn't say he was hugely promising if he wasn't - millions of people said that about Schofield.

Obviously, the best thing for Rashid is if he's not burdened with great expectations. Then we'll see, but as I say - I'm not getting my hopes up just because he's young and bowls wristspin. When he starts taking the hauls, then I'll maybe get a few hopes up.

Chawla still doesn't look particularly great shakes either but he is only 19 so that's not particularly unusual.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Md Suraj, his starting to get his career back on track after a couple poor seasons. Should be the next Murali and then some. Nah more likely to be a decent Kumble type bowler. I personally think there are quite a few decent spinners around World Cricket, who could be as good as AQ or Kumble.