• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne's top 50 cricketers

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Interesting list overall.

Its good to see a list like this after a while and people have to remember that it is not a list about who Warne thought were the best players overall - he wouldn't have the sole State players in the list if so. But it is obviously more of a list who he finds the greatest competitors and those who has the most respect for.

It is legend his battles with Lara and Tendulkar, his partnerships with Taylor, McGrath and Healy and then you have guys like Donald, Waqar and others who are without a doubt great players, but just didn;t have that spark when playing against Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Probably that explains why they were his last few series :)

You never judge a player on his performance when he is clearly on decline. The selectors do him injustics , in a way, by playing him, OR they aresaying that even in that form he is better than the alternative.

There is a massive difference in the keeping skills of Gilchrist and Healy at their peak. BTW thats just my opinion
And I agree wholeheartedly. I hate people judging anything - anything, whatsoever, it's completely meaningless IMO - on a short period of decline for a player who has done the job brilliantly for an interminable period.

IMO Healy > Gilchrist as a wicketkeeper, beyond doubt. Never seen how anyone can seriously argue otherwise.

howardj

International Coach
Once again, where is the linkage?

If there was a rift between Warne and Gilchrist I would be surprised, but I suppose it could be because of their different characters. Warne is a bit of a loose cannon while Gilchrist appears to be very proper and respectful, in a non snooty kind of way.
It's been very well documented down the years. Here's today's paper for instance. It's been no big secret.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Shane was was one of the most entertaining cricketers of his time and I thoroughky enjoyed his list and his take on his top 50 crickets. You can disagree with picks but you cant disagree that it was great fun going through his list.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Agreed this issue has been done to death so many times. I think it is fair to say mention, Warne & Muralitharan and Ponting, Dravid & Hayden and generally all hell breaks loss.
Dravid and Hayden? :unsure: I never knew they didn't get along.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No. I never heard of any animosity between them.
No, no - was meaning were you only pretending to infer that from Craig's post.

He made no mention of it and I presumed you were just pretending he had.

He meant that bring-up said subjects (be it "Warne or Murali?" "Dravid or Ponting?" or any number of other things) on CW and you get hell breaking loose on here.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i really thought that if saeed and yousuf made the top fifty cricketers of his list... inzi is going to make it also... but he is no where to found.. i mean is there a reason why he was skiped...maybe he totally forgot about him...

steve waugh is ranked number 26th... my god that is pretty low for a batsman like steve waugh... i still rank steve a better captain then mark and pointing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well being a better captain than his brother isn't hard. :p

And I have to say I now think Australia's achievements during Ponting's time at the helm really outstrip those with Waugh Snr there. Not neccessarily making Ponting a better captain, but equally - it might do.

haroon510

International 12th Man
Well being a better captain than his brother isn't hard. :p

And I have to say I now think Australia's achievements during Ponting's time at the helm really outstrip those with Waugh Snr there. Not neccessarily making Ponting a better captain, but equally - it might do.
i meant mark taylar

lol :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well Taylor's almost undoubtedly a better captain than Stephen Waugh really. Virtually everyone who played against them (and watched the both of them) tends to say that.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
i really thought that if saeed and yousuf made the top fifty cricketers of his list... inzi is going to make it also... but he is no where to found.. i mean is there a reason why he was skiped...maybe he totally forgot about him...
Well Saeed had a pretty good record against Australia (averaged almost 60 against them overall and 47 in Australia) so I would've actually been a bit surprised if he wasn't in the top 50. Yousuf man-handled Warne in 2005 (albeit just one inning) so I'm guessing he left a lasting impression on him on top of the amazing year he had in 2006.

Compared to that, Inzamam hasn't really done anything against Australia except that win in Karachi where he batted with the tail and squeezed out a 1-wicket win, hence the reason why most Australians don't really rate him.

howardj

International Coach
Well Taylor's almost undoubtedly a better captain than Stephen Waugh really. Virtually everyone who played against them (and watched the both of them) tends to say that.
On the tactical front Taylor is better. That doesn't automatically mean he was a better captain though. For mine, captaincy is about getting the most from those in your team. Waugh could not be faulted in this regard. He took basically what Taylor had at his disposal (the Waugh brothers; Warne, McGrath, Gillespie) and turned Australia into a ruthless killing machine. He squeezed every last drop out of that team.

Furthermore, he helped 'make' players like Langer and Hayden. For mine, too many people just look at tactical brilliance when considering how good a captain is, rather than whether they got the most out of the individuals and the team as a whole that they presided over. In that regard, Tugga measures up to any skipper in history.

A ruthless, cold-blooded animal. lol.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On the tactical front, certainly. As a batsman, which helps contribute to how you are rated as a captain IMO, no comparison. Waugh may not have been the brilliant, thinking leader that Taylor was but he would certainly score the runs and lead from the front when he needed to, much more of an inspirational captain.