• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
****. The fielders have basically kept bashing Karthik from the moment he has come on to bat. I am glad he has walked off from the batting crease on 2 or 3 occasions. Surely such constant targeting is just not on? Don't give me a joke about him being a kid who needs to grow up. It is just not on (I am glad Ian Chappell agrees btw).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
"Whats this? Prior's chatting has got to Karthik, who pulls away, he isnt happy and Ganguly marches down the track, telling Karthik to get on with it and leave it."

"Just going back to that incident, Karthik pulled out of his crease twice due to what was being chirped around the bat and behind the stumps. Ganguly saw it and came down, taking him by the shoulder and telling him to get back to his crease and just focus on batting. Prior had a big goofy grin on his face all throughout. Next ball, down walked Ganguly again, advising the youngster not to get involved."

Need to grow a thicker skin, kid.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
****. The fielders have basically kept bashing Karthik from the moment he has come on to bat. I am glad he has walked off from the batting crease on 2 or 3 occasions. Surely such constant targeting is just not on? Don't give me a joke about him being a kid who needs to grow up. It is just not on (I am glad Ian Chappell agrees btw).
?? Why? As long as it doesn't cross the line, what's wrong with a bit of banter to get in his head? He may lose his calm and gift you his wicket. This is Test cricket, there is no place for you if you can't handle a bit of banter.

Swervy

International Captain
no way...this is test cricket!!! Nothing as been done which is not within the spirit of the game. Test cricket is a tough sport. I was glad Ganguly told Karthik to turn around and get on with the game.

Why, what did Chappelli say about it?

chalky

International Debutant
?? Why? As long as it doesn't cross the line, what's wrong with a bit of banter to get in his head? He may lose his calm and gift you his wicket. This is Test cricket, there is no place for you if you can't handle a bit of banter.
I agree, as long as its not when he is his stance, if you can't handle a little verbals you really shouldn't be playing test cricket.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SS: I believe it might be crossing the line. Karthik has played cricket for a while now and I found it very weird the way he reacted.

The commentators have had the audio feed of the stump cams all the time. Chappell thought it was not on and the fielding side should be told to get on and not the batsman. I don't think Chappell would say it just for the sake of it.

adharcric

International Coach
Don't really have a problem with sledging myself but that's just wrong. Technically speaking, banter has nothing to do with cricket and there is no reason why it should be an inherent part of the game. It has developed over the decades and now we have come to accept or promote it for various reasons, but it's not strictly a part of the game. Mental toughness in cricket will always encompass playing the leave to the new ball on a probing line and not being disrupted by a batsman hitting you out of the ground, but not necessarily being able to handle trash talk. That is merely the way cricket culture has developed over time.

Doubt the English close-in fielders did anything to cross the line. Then again, maybe Chappell knows the details.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, I didn't hear what he said but really, if it offends you, say something back. Look at this, Anderson has gotten in his head...he chased that ball...he's asking for it now.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Don't really have a problem with sledging myself but that's just wrong. Technically speaking, banter has nothing to do with cricket and there is no reason why it should be an inherent part of the game. It has developed over the decades and now we have come to accept it for various reasons, but it's not a part of the game. Mental toughness in cricket will always encompass playing the leave to the new ball on a probing line and not being disrupted by a batsman hitting you out of the ground, but not necessarily being able to handle trash talk. That is merely the way cricket culture has developed over time.
Doesn't matter how it has come into the game, but it is part of it now, and if you want to play Test cricket: deal with it.

sideshowtim

Banned
How long can India afford to carry the deadweight that is Tendulkar in their side?

He averages 30 in the last 3 years against the Top 8 nations. That's terrible. He shouldn't even be considered for the next test against England or the series against Australia when Sehwag was dropped despite having an average of 48 over the last 3 years against the Top 8 nations.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Doesn't matter how it has come into the game, but it is part of it now, and if you want to play Test cricket: deal with it.
I don't think that was the issue though.

The way i saw it Khartik walked away because they were talking when he was in his stance. I think he was quite right to do that as the fielders by law must shut up when the batsman takes his stance(or the bowler is running in).

Speaking from personal experience it is very annoying to have men round the bat talking as a spinner is coming into bowl.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yes, you are right open365. Chappell did mention that a batsman has the right to some peace and quiet out in the middle, probably indicating to what you are saying.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
no way...this is test cricket!!! Nothing as been done which is not within the spirit of the game. Test cricket is a tough sport. I was glad Ganguly told Karthik to turn around and get on with the game.

If it is a tough sport , play the game dammit, dont talk.

sideshowtim

Banned
Yes, you are right open365. Chappell did mention that a batsman has the right to some peace and quiet out in the middle, probably indicating to what you are saying.
Chappell said that?! Haha! He was known for having a bit of a sledge himself. What a hypocrite.

adharcric

International Coach
How long can India afford to carry the deadweight that is Tendulkar in their side?

He averages 30 in the last 3 years against the Top 8 nations. That's terrible. He shouldn't even be considered for the next test against England or the series against Australia when Sehwag was dropped despite having an average of 48 over the last 3 years against the Top 8 nations.
Sehwag was pathetic in SA, Tendulkar was not. Anyways, this series should be it for Tendulkar - perform or perish.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Chappell said that?! Haha! He was known for having a bit of a sledge himself. What a hypocrite.
There is a difference between sledging, crossing the line (a personal abuse like Sarwan v McGrath) and sledging while the bowler is bowling. The second and third are going into dodgy grounds.

Last edited:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Kaarthik and Ganguly need to get us to atleast 200, and then we might have a shot at it. Right now I am just praying for rain.

Oh and Simon can go suck on an apple.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
137/3 then at close of play. Not too bad a total. Dinesh Karthik showing the positive and fighting attitude we know him for. The track doesn't have much challenge to offer but we still lost at least 2 wickets legitimately. Tendulkar was again out poorly. Was out playing a nothing shot in the first inning and again, trapped lbw in a way you don't want to get out against Monty. Coming to Dravid, his feet movement seems suspect. He had literally no feet movement in the first inning and even in the second inning, even though it was a decision which should have gone in favour of Dravid, it was hardly by a big margin. The more important thing to ponder is why Dravid had let himself get into that position. Had the ball moved a bit more, he would have been plumb.

The good thing for India is that Karthik and Ganguly who both looked out of sorts in the first inning are playing with confidence when the ball is not moving. As we have already scored 137, 243 more to get which does not seem as horrible or impossible to get as 380. Still, it is almost impossible. Our best hope is rain for half a day or so forcing a draw. It will be quite tough to last particularly with the wicket showing signs of wearing and Monty bowling beautifully while getting support from the wicket.

Last edited: