• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Breakaway Indian League - Lara, Warne, McGrath?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This concept holds absolutely no interest for me at all

At least Packer had the exclusive right to most of the world's top players.

This seems likely to be a "filler" in an already over-crowded schedule where the participants are retirees and fringe dwellers. Big freakin' deal!

pup11

International Coach
I don't think its anything but a stupid idea, with so much international cricket being played throughout the year who would be interested in watching a bunch of wannabe's+some fringe players+some oldies.

Its just a desperate move from Zee to get their channel in some sort of limelight.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'd watch it, but I wouldn't enjoy it. Who am I kidding of course I would

I wouldnt like it though, the old legends just having a bash.

Smells of money.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Which was not a competition with the game's best interests at heart, it was an attempt by a media moghul to win a battle.

It's not. It's a perception of fact. A TV company cannot run a cricket competition of any note, because the sole concern will be attracting viewers, not the good of the game.
That's a completely irrelevant criterion on which to judge the worth of the cricket played. To me, its cricket if its played largely within the commonly accepted rules of cricket. To me, its good cricket if the teams involved are of a good standard. Couldn't really give two hoots what they're meant to be representing, or whose money they're receiving - it all comes from the viewing public anyway ultimately.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't agree - who they're reprisenting (and, if professional, automatically by chain who they're receiving the money at first-hand from) is the very essence of sport for most people. Not quite so much, incidentally, for me - I view countless hundreds of games as a neutral and enjoy it. But I don't think I'd have cared two hoots for World Series Cricket.

As I've said before - the worth of the cricket played is a tricky thing to judge. Yes, undoubtedly to score runs and get good bowling-figures required high-quality play. But the fact that the chance to play such games should never, ever have come about, and only came about through some self-serving media moghul counts big in my book.

Matt79

Global Moderator
One set of doofus's in suits vs another - no difference at all in my book - so long as the standard of player and play is up to scratch.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
SHRUG, whatever it is, it cannot possibly be worse than the ****e excuse for FC cricket we have, so its a big plus in my book.

I would trust media moguls over BCCI bastards any day of the week, and the decision wouldn't be close either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
HAHA, what a joke, there's probably barely a single person at Zee who knows a thing about how to run a cricket league (and a proper cricket league), there simply must be at least some, somewhere at The BCCI, who does. Otherwise we wouldn't have so much as a functioning competition that produces players of any capability at all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One set of doofus's in suits vs another - no difference at all in my book - so long as the standard of player and play is up to scratch.
Not everyone at The ACB in 1976 was a doofus. One of them - who coincidentally died just months after Packer - was described by such a respected administrator as Malcolm Gray as "the best cricket administrator Australia ever had".

Matt79

Global Moderator
Well equally not everyone who works for TV companies, be it Zee or Packer, is a doofus. They're likely to be found in roughly equal proportions in either location...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed, Packer's lieutenant, whose name escapes me right now, proved excellent at devising new ideas for Nine's coverage. But people who applied for work in TV companies would never have had any reason to have expertise at organising cricket competitions. Those who applied for work in The ACB or BCCI just might.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Indeed, Packer's lieutenant, whose name escapes me right now, proved excellent at devising new ideas for Nine's coverage. But people who applied for work in TV companies would never have had any reason to have expertise at organising cricket competitions. Those who applied for work in The ACB or BCCI just might.
Those who applied, or are specifically head-hunted, to help run the cricket coverage, or competition if applicable, just might as well. Guys who are smart enough to succeed the way Packer did aren't in the habit of picking idiots or unqualified people to do their hands-on work for them.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
HAHA, what a joke, there's probably barely a single person at Zee who knows a thing about how to run a cricket league (and a proper cricket league), there simply must be at least some, somewhere at The BCCI, who does. Otherwise we wouldn't have so much as a functioning competition that produces players of any capability at all.
Tony Greig.. Besides, if Zee is running a cricket league, investing so much money into it, they are bound to employ people and associate accountability with the same. Accountability.. hmm.. not a word you associate with the BCCI.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
One person likes it cus it doesn't involve a corrupt board. Another person hates it cus it involves a TV company. Anyway else get the felling we are going around in circles. Argue the topic not the the different parties FFS.

You know what i honesty reckon cus India doesn't have Twenty20 league and if this starts to take off, with offically announcements of players signing. The BCCI will get on the money train in 1...2...3...

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Those who applied, or are specifically head-hunted, to help run the cricket coverage, or competition if applicable, just might as well. Guys who are smart enough to succeed the way Packer did aren't in the habit of picking idiots or unqualified people to do their hands-on work for them.
Remind me again - what's the timescale for this Zee enterprise? UIMM, things are already being planned, and I doubt there's been a great deal of opportunity to recruit such people given that it was only announced a matter of a month or so ago.

In any case - good cricket administrators don't grow on trees.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Kill it before it breeds. Seriously can't think of a less graceful way for these players to end their careers.
I don't think these guys quit international cricket SO THAT they cud play this league. I think they have retired (or have been forced to, in the instance of Lara) for various reasons and now, having hung up their boots as far as international cricket is concerned, they are now just looking at other avenues to make some money. Don't see what they are doing wrong, to be honest.

pasag

RTDAS
I don't think these guys quit international cricket SO THAT they cud play this league. I think they have retired (or have been forced to, in the instance of Lara) for various reasons and now, having hung up their boots as far as international cricket is concerned, they are now just looking at other avenues to make some money. Don't see what they are doing wrong, to be honest.
They are doing nothing wrong and I never said they were, obviously they can do whatever they want to make money. However the situation is a rubbish one where some of these greats will be prostituting themselves out for some sort of gimmicky and tacky competition.