• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

McGrath tribute thread

Fusion

Global Moderator
Happy now !!!!!Jeez Now can't anyone even have a difference of opinion !!!
You can have a difference of opinion all you want, but I still don't know what the hell your post was about. I merely copied McGrath's article in which he listed his "toughest XI" that he's faced. In response you posted something about working for the Pakistani embassy in Colombo!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FRAZ wouldn't be FRAZ without those posts, TBH.

Randomness is one of his many fortés.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It seems that everyone has forgotten about this bloke. Clearly Warne is calling it quits, and everybody has put all their praise into him, and not a mention for McGrath, it makes me feel sad. Post your tributes and memorys of him here.
Overrated bowler who could only get wickets on seaming-heaven pitches.

At least, that's the mistaken impression most have always got of my opinion of him.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Out of current players I'd say that McGrath is my favorite. From when I've started watching cricket hes been a constant: running in, bowling impeccable line and length with a fair bit of bite and guile, sometimes celebrating, sometimes swearing, but always entertaining to watch as a guy who is truly passionate about his cricket. I might weep when he is gone.
:cry:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I love McGrath, and I don't want to get into an argument in this thread. But did you happen to see the Ashes in 05?
Yes. And if McGrath hadn't trodden on a stray cricket ball pre-2nd test, Australia would have won with a leg in the air. Warne's '05 series was the stuff of legend - with McGrath injured and below his best after Lord's, Warne was a one man army. Flintoff deservedly got man of the series, given that England won, but really Warne was the best player form either side in that series. He and McGrath complimented each other so well.

But getting back to the tribute to McGrath topic - given that he took so many wickets in an era dominated by batsmen and on flat decks, imagine what he might have done bowling more often on wickets with juice in them. As an example, at age 35 he absolutely tore England apart on a juicy Lord's pitch to the point where England, who had bowled so well to dismiss Australia cheaply, were basically given a lesson in fast bowling on that 1st afternoon. Bloke was amazing.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yes. And if McGrath hadn't trodden on a stray cricket ball pre-2nd test, Australia would have won with a leg in the air. Warne's '05 series was the stuff of legend - with McGrath injured and below his best after Lord's, Warne was a one man army. Flintoff deservedly got man of the series, given that England won, but really Warne was the best player form either side in that series. He and McGrath complimented each other so well.
If Warne had just held onto that Pieterson catch it would have been the stuff of dreams. That Ashes series was the best test series I'd ever seen and I probably enjoyed so much because we were having so much trouble. Yet Warne almost carried our carcass over the line.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Might have.

Anyway - anyone who wanted any single aspect of that series changed IMO deserves Second Lesson to be devoted to "cricket".

Any change would have completely shifted the dynamics of that series, and I can't believe any change could have made it better.

It's not without reason that that series is considered the most entertaining in history.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Might have.

Anyway - anyone who wanted any single aspect of that series changed IMO deserves Second Lesson to be devoted to "cricket".

Any change would have completely shifted the dynamics of that series, and I can't believe any change could have made it better.

It's not without reason that that series is considered the most entertaining in history.
Not arguing against any of that, actually.

Laurrz

International Debutant
it will feel so weird when we play Lanka this summer and he isnt leading the attack... he has been for us for a decade :cry: